CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 1204
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDynamic Blocks - Flipping a Linear Parameter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11.Mar.2016 at 11:31
Reasons why threads might show dozens of views but no replies.

-Many people like to read the entire question BEFORE they decide if they will or won't, can or can't answer the question.

-Curiosity.  Looking for more information (ex. - the version of AutoCAD being used).

-Inadvertently clicking on a thread.

-People who stumble across the site, look at a single post (yours?) decide it's nothing of interest, leave and never return again.

-Or "they" aren't people but BOTS!  Do you know what a BOT is?  Take a look at the CAD Discussion's page under the heading Active Users and see who is online at any given moment (members, anonymous members, guests and search robots).  Does that give you a clue?

-The person viewing the thread honestly doesn't know the answer or needs to do some research first before returning with an answer.  Or maybe they can't quite figure out what is being asked and return for a second or even a third look.

I can point you to at least four other CAD help sites, similar to this, where questions go unanswered with far more views than yours.  Stop getting your panties in such a twist over such a trivial thing.  Sh!t happens dude.

Example: There is another CAD help site with a very similar name to this one called CADforums (note the "s").  Two threads listed on the first page are noticeable for their lack of responses.  The first has 1,508 views and 0 replies.  The second has 26,032 views (imagine that!) and 0 replies.  And you got upset because your thread had how many views with zero replies?  Let's see.  It was.........131 views.  Do the math.  Compare your number to both of those numbers and tell me who should be crying the blues the loudest?  Gain any perspective yet?

Edited by John Connor - 11.Mar.2016 at 15:26
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Ejas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: autocad2012, autocad 2013,vectorworks 2012
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Mar.2016 at 05:55
Hi all,

I saw this post and thought I would like to take a crack at this.
I took me quite some time to get to a solution. (How the small things that matter slip your mind)

Anyways the steps that i carried were:
1. Changed no. of grips on the linear parameter from 2 to 1
2. Applied stretch actions to both lines perpendicular to each other. (Used the single grip as the common base)
3. For flip, I re-entered the "Flip Action" again and typed "all" instead of selecting all with the mouse.

That was all it took. Well felt like a big weight had been lifted from my shoulders.
I took the initiative to apply a flip parameter along the x-axis to prove that it works along both x and y axis.
Check the attached dwg.

Regards,
Ejas.
BehzadCAD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: AutoCAD2013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Mar.2016 at 05:34
Ejas,

Thanks for reply and sorry for my delay in reply.

Well done and you got the answer I looked for it for a while.

Your point 3 is the answer. For Item 1 and 2, Changing grip numbers is not necessary and stretch was already applied to both lines.

What I didn't know at the time of posting this topic is your number 3.

To do a Flip we better do select all instead of drawing the rectangle to choose to be safe.

This can work for simple blocks but as your block gets complected you need to specifically choose what to be selected in your actions.

With any action applied to a parameter we create an extra object which cannot be selected by normal window selecting IF IF IF the variable bactionmode=1

Set bactionmode to 0 and you see all new action objects and you can choose any you want.

Here is an example:

If you add a rotate parameter to the same block, you need to:

1- Set bactionmode=0
2- Click on Action called Rotate, and choose action called Leaf to add it to selection
3- Click on Action called Leaf, enter, select the angle parameter to add it to selection
4- Click on Action called Flip1 and either type "all" or click on rotate to add it to selection (make sure Action Leaf is selected)

This knowledge helped me to create my favorite door dynamic blocks for hinged and pivot doors. I know there are 10s of door dynamic blocks out on the web, but they didn't have all the options I wanted. For example, for pivot door, I wanted a block in which you can control some aspects with grips and/or properties menu like: Glass width, Pivot offset, Glass Thickness, Glass type (Laminated or not), Leaf rotation, alignment and finally flipping in/out and left/right. Making it was a challenge but you can do ANYTHING you want to, if you put your mind into it.

Thanks for reading,
Kind regards

Edited by BehzadCAD - 21.Mar.2016 at 22:38

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic