CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 4941
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to Draw Wave-Alike Object?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Kent Cooper View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2020, 2023
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Cooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23.Apr.2024 at 15:29
Only you can say whether putting two Circles of 10-unit diameter 11 units apart, and drawing the tangent Line between them, gives you a shape that is close enough for you to matching the waviness in your original image.  As you mentioned, maybe a Spline could make a more precise match.  But seriously -- how precisely does it need to match?  I assume the squiggly-wavy pointer is just a graphic convention for some relationship [sub-atomic particle movement or something?], not representative of an actual physical object, so what does it matter whether the precise shape of the waviness matches exactly?  And frankly, to me it looks like the end-most bulges in the original image are slightly smaller than the intermediate ones, which if true, you could construct if you really need that difference, but would not be possible with a shape-embedded linetype, which would need all bulges to be exactly the same.  So what does it represent, and how much does the exactness of the wavy shape really matter?
dery View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2014
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Apr.2024 at 08:57
I need to draw as similar as possible like the original pic. How do I draw it using spline please?
Can you show me please the step-by-step animation like post #5 on page 2?

Edited by dery - 24.Apr.2024 at 08:57

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Cooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Apr.2024 at 19:58
Well, this may not be any more precise about matching the wave shape, and seems like a lot of work compared to other approaches, and hugely more difficult if you need to adjust it.  But I would do it with Snap turned on and a series of regularly-spaced positions.  Here, Snap and Grid are both set to 1 drawing unit -- note how the cursor pops to only grid positions.  I pre-positioned Points [green] just to illustrate what I was up to, but they are not needed.  You will want to experiment with the arrangement for "close enough" precision.  This is in a SPLINE command.

Edited by Kent Cooper - 25.Apr.2024 at 20:02
dery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26.Apr.2024 at 05:28
How do you positioned the green points location like that?

Edited by dery - 26.Apr.2024 at 10:17
philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philippe JOSEPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26.Apr.2024 at 11:19
The "good" thing to do when drawing a spline is adding start and end tangents.
In the old AutoCAD version you could do this after but now I haven't find the way to "catch" those tangents so I add multiple in line points and then trim the spline were it normaly begins and ends.
Any informations about start and end tangents ?
I had previously posted a discussion about that with an AutoCAD file but got no answers.

Edited by philippe JOSEPH - 26.Apr.2024 at 13:16
dery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26.Apr.2024 at 14:31
Hi Mr. Joseph. I don't know what "tangent of spline" is.
Can you explain and show me please example by pic or animation?
Thank you.
philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philippe JOSEPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26.Apr.2024 at 16:17
About tangent of spline, see eventually : 

TEST SPLINE 01 Aa.dwg

in the CAD / BIM Blocks library and / or test the command SPLINE on your computer.

Edited by philippe JOSEPH - 26.Apr.2024 at 16:18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Cooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29.Apr.2024 at 13:56
Originally posted by dery dery wrote:

How do you positioned the green points location like that?
With the POINT command, with Snap turned on so they are all at grid locations.  They are there in the image only to illustrate -- it is not necessary to have them there if you can visually pop to positions in that kind of regular relationship.  In the case of the relationship in my image, the relative position of each location is like a Knight's move in chess, but you'll need to experiment to decide whether that makes a shape enough like what you want.

Edited by Kent Cooper - 29.Apr.2024 at 14:09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Cooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29.Apr.2024 at 14:04
Originally posted by philippe JOSEPH philippe JOSEPH wrote:

... Any informations about start and end tangents ?
I had previously posted a discussion about that with an AutoCAD file but got no answers.
They're in the DXF code 12 and 13 entries in entity data -- see >this<. -- or the StartTangent and EndTangent VLA properties, or in the (getpropertyvalue)/(setpropertyvalue) world, the StartFitTangent and EndFitTangent properties.  You can play with them in the Properties palette, too.
dery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29.Apr.2024 at 16:13
Hi Mr. Cooper, may I know what software you're using to capture the sreenshot animation like your post (3rd post of page 3)?

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic